Saturday, November 5

BREAD

Who can deny there is something about making your own bread
Something primal
a deep sense of... I am in control of my life....
In order to make bread you need
 1 main ingredient
time
yes I know there are quick recipes
and you can knock out a loaf of brown soda bread pretty sharpish
but for a yeasted loaf you need to be in the moment
while the physical acts of kneading, proofing, rising,
may actually take 20 mins of work
the timing and co-ordinating means you must be able to pay attention

The act of making bread was something I really missed while living in NYC
as I never seemed to have the expanse of unfilled hours it takes
to occupy yourself with yeast and dough
So it is with GREAT pleasure that I return to the pasttime


I am a huge fan of the
No knead method of bread making
But the above baguettes were made using the Poolish method

Bread is food for my soul


photograph by HELEN JAMES

1 comment:

  1. Hello Helen

    I was delighted to find you name on my blog roll today. I agree, bread making is personal and an art form and the joy of the baker comes through in the finished product.
    I bake, with soda and buttermilk. I have not tried using yeast and will one day.
    Thank you for the links and have a joyful weekend.

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails